Re: [Phys-l] About drinkable water resistivity

At 07:13 AM 7/4/2008, M. Roberto Carabajal Perez, you wrote:
Hello:

I would appreciate that you commented about an experiment we did
trying to show common water resistivity. We submerge both analog
multitester testing probes in a plastic recipient (5 litres) full with
water and we obtained a reading near 15000 ohms. The measure was
repeated with different low current densities.
We observe that inside tank limits, resistivity practically didn't vary
with distance among probes. What could be an acceptable model to explain
this ?. Can we make relations with measuring earth resistivity problem
?

My best regards.
Roberto

The usual model for electrical conductance is the measure
of current for a particular test material cross section area,
multiplied by the distance between the test electrodes.
This is factored with a coefficient representing the
particular material, and a factor representing the
temperature at which the test is taken.

We could represent this algebraically as resistance R
= rho times distance L / cross section area A
where rho is the label we apply to the innate resistivity
coefficient of the material (at some temperature),
or in short, R = rho.L / A

You ask why, if L the separation is increased,
why does the resistance not increase?
The other terms which could co-vary are the material resistivity rho
or the effective cross-section A.
It would be relatively easy to decide which of these parameters
is varying.

For example, if the meter probes were placed near each end of a
submerged glass tube of constant cross-section: then if the electrode
separation were varied, the effective cross-section could not.
If cross section is the variable of interest, we expect the resistance
to decrease as electrodes are placed closer inside the glass tube.

I have a water testing meter which can be obtained quite cheaply
(~$25). It has two stainless pin electrodes about 6 mm long,
placed about the same distance apart. This indicates in terms
of parts per million total dissolved solids, but really measures
water conductivity in microSiemens per centimeter and applies
a factor of about 0.7 to this value.

When I tested two water samples, I got these results:
tap water 470 ppm total dissolved solids.
distilled water 5 ppm tds.
The EPA sets an upper limit for water authorities to aim
at of 500 ppm.

To address your second query: if we can treat earth bulk
conductivity as reasonably constant for reasonable depths, then
your experimental results might well apply here too, so that
surface electrode separation is not particularly critical.

I should mention the temperature dependence of resistance - you
are aware that incandescent lights have much higher resistance
when glowing white hot than at room temperature.
With water the relation runs in the other direction - resistance
may drop between 2 to 8% per degree Centigrade increase,
depending on water purity and on temperature - it is markedly
non-linear with temperature, modeled at times by a
five term polynomial.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!