From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of John Denker
Sent: 03 July 2008 15:43
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: [Phys-l] base of log

On 07/03/2008 06:52 AM, Dan Crowe wrote:
I have many books and papers in which "log" refers to the base e. I
also have a comparable number of books and papers in which "log"
refers to the base 10.

In the field of information theory, "log" very commonly refers to base 2.

The only consistent approach to the subject it to say that "log" by
itself does not denote or even connote any particular base. It could
be 2, e, 10, or something else entirely. Sometimes the base is specified
by context, and sometimes it is left unspecified because it doesn't matter.

The huuuge base
exp(1/k)
is often encountered in thermodynamics. For the next level of detail, see
http://www.av8n.com/physics/thermo-laws.htm#sec-s-units