Re: [Phys-l] Poynting Vector

Many thanks, Tom, for this insight.

At the risk of running this vector into the ground, I'd like to offer an example from Feynmann. It's not his exact setup - but I believe it does successfully show that SOMETHING with physical significance is flowing

Consider a short, superconducting solenoid in free space.
Short, because we must make use of the non-zero field outside the solenoid.

Put a (charged) coaxial capacitor around the solenoid and coaxial with it.

Everything is at rest (except for the charges flowing in the solenoid - which could be positive OR negative with no difference in outcome).

At a given time, the solenoid 'goes normal' with negligible external interference.

Once the current is zero - the setup is seen to be rotating in space with a calculable angular velocity.

Question - since there is evidently some angular momentum in the initial picture - can it be equal to the angular momentum of the energy flow associated with the Poynting Vector which existed between the capacitor plates?

This is not intended to reproduce Feynmann's example - but I am (perhaps incorrectly) assuming the same phenomena are involved.