[Phys-l] Shaky Table Spoiler.

You are sitting at a wobbly table with four legs that can sit flush
on a plane surface i.e. the table has four identical leg lengths .
how can you stop it rocking on the restaurant floor?
(for reasonable floor smoothness and gradient)
The obvious method, a folded table napkin, is not desired.

I realize that I have allowed this topic to long outlast
its welcome. But I found the wobbly table solution
so enthralling, that I am impelled to share it here
(it's a theorem that's less than 50 years old, so may
still have some novelty math value...)

Sp;oiler ahead:
For reasonable 4 leg tables or chairs, and reasonable floors
on which they wobble, how to cure?
.

.

.

Rotate the wobbly item, usually less than +/- 45 degrees....

DaDaa!

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!