[Phys-l] Buffalo Fall Conference on Case Study Teaching in Science

Dear List Members,

We are pleased to announce our upcoming 2-day fall Case Study Teaching
conference. Registration is open to anyone with an interest in science
education. We hope to see many of you there, and would be particularly
pleased if you submitted a proposal for our poster session.

My regards, Nancy Schiller
Co-Director, National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science, University
at Buffalo, State University of New York

9th ANNUAL CONFERENCE ON CASE STUDY TEACHING IN SCIENCE

Presented by the National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science, State
University of New York at Buffalo

DATES: September 26 & 27, 2008
VENUE: Ramada Inn & Conference Center, Amherst, NY

DEADLINES:
-to submit a poster session proposal: August 29, 2008 -to reserve a hotel
room at the special conference rate: September 10, 2008 -to get the early
bird discounted rate: August 25, 2008

The aim of our annual fall conference is to bring together people who are
interested in teaching science using case studies. The conference features
plenary speakers, a poster session, and a number of mini-workshops organized
in two tracks - one for the beginner and the other for the more experienced
case teacher

In addition to sessions on developing and teaching cases, there will be
sessions on active learning strategies in the science classroom, assessing
critical thinking in the science classroom, using cases to help science
teachers align curriculum to state and national standards, the mini research
project, and integrating the case concept into your course, among others.

Dr. Clyde (Kipp) Herreid, SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor and Director
of the National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science, is our conference
leader.

Early bird registration (before or on August 25, 2008) is $425. Regular
registration (after August 25, 2008) is $475. We are also offering a
special student registration rate of $225. Registration includes buffet
lunch, and morning/afternoon coffee breaks on both Friday and Saturday, as
well as the Friday evening reception & banquet. A full buffet breakfast is
available to those staying at the Ramada Inn & Conference Center,
compliments of the hotel. Breakfast is served in the hotel's restaurant.

Please note: A limited block of hotel rooms is being held at the Ramada for
our group at the special conference rate until September 10, 2008, so plan
on making your hotel reservations early.

For more information, including how to submit your poster proposal, see the
conference website at:
http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/projects/cases/conference/conference.html

Questions about the conference can be directed to our Conference
Coordinator, Carolyn Wright, at nccsts@buffalo.edu or (716)645-2363 x111,
fax (716)645-2975