Re: [Phys-l] Sparks

Adding:
The reason for the spring loading in conventional switches Is to make the connection quickly. I suggest dismantling one to observe the engineering, i.e. how the "springing" is designed to both break and make the connection. In all the switches (light) I've dismantled, it is a knife switch wherein the handle or toggle is a lever driving the spring. The only high current and PD switch I've seen "up closely" * was a large conventional knife in a tank of transformer oil to suppress the arc on break. A list member has posted the very long arc resulting from opening a transmission line switch. Some Tesla spark units employ rotating electrodes to extinguish the arc.

If one assumes linearity* an electrostatically initiated discharge at 12 V. requires a separation of approx. four micrometer. (air break down ~ 3 E+6 V/m)

* W/ a telescope check out the distribution line switches on the utility poles.
**Not a good one, I think, as very short points become more important when the electrodes are in very close proximity. One may contest this by using JD's Laplacian spread sheet.

http://www.av8n.com/physics/laplace.htm

Finally, I tried initiating an arc using both steel (opened large paper clip) and Cu wires, and a 'mobile emergency power pack. I failed, which may explain the ~ minimum arc welding PD of ~ 24 V. The Cu did weld (poorly) to the clamp and the steel fused into a large drop at the contact end of the wire.

bc wonders if it was a matter of insufficient current instead of PD.