Re: [Phys-l] [tap-l] I am being pierced by dangerous magnetic fields

This is all from memory -- verification and "up dating" likely available from web sites.

Some effect of low frequency low field mag. fields has been verified in vivo (small mammals) and vitro. Curiously the frequency required is around 60 Hz and doesn't occur at high fields (? > ten Gauss). DC fields, of reasonable intensity are innocuous (?< one Tesla).

Regarding Wi Fi and radio 'phones: This won't die -- instead evidence is increasing that it is carcinogenic. However, this is only when the radiation is concentrated in the head, e.g. the antenna near the head from a 'phone. When ever I discover (without searching) a such report, I've posted it on PHYS-L.

Regarding the Prius. I'm rather severely "hearing challenged" my "aids" allow me to know when someone is speaking, but my comprehension is only about 50%. Being an advanced aid it detects audio frequency mag. fields. It detects fields generated by both our '94 Corolla, the Prius, and the VW Rabbit. The Prius is, of course, the most "active". If the above is true, I'm not worried as the frequency is rather high. However, I'm prompted to make some intensity measurements when we receive our new one.

About 20 to 25 years ago the New Yorker Mag. included a series on cancer clusters. The librarians were rather panicked (UCSC) and asked E. H. & S. to measure the fields presumable emanating from the massive transformers in their basement. One of the officers enlisted my assistance. I calibrated the sensitivity of one half a Helmholtz coil. W/ a DMM, they found the field much reduced in the areas where they worked, but was quite high in the basement.

OTOH it's unlikely or mixed:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/magnetic-fields

And radio 'phones:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/cellphones

Finally "the grape vine" reports a brain cancer cluster at SLAC. When I questioned Stanley (Flaté, deceased late last year *), he said he liked to think it was superior intelligence

bc fears for J.D.

p.s. after receiving an injection of technium we acquired the gamma- ray spectrum from his head