[Phys-l] Physics, chem, phys sci Modeling Workshops nationwide this summer

March 26, 2008
updated ANNOUNCEMENT (please forward to other teachers):

Modeling Workshops in high school physics, chemistry, and/or physical
science will be held in summer 2008 in Birmingham AL (two), Mobile AL
(1-week), Arizona (seven!), Georgia (for middle school teachers), Miami FL
(two), Chicago IL (two), Maine, New York (two), North Carolina (pending
funding), Ohio (three), Philadelphia PA (two), Pittsburgh PA (five 1-week),
Dallas TX (two), and Wisconsin.

For details, visit http://modeling.asu.edu .
Click on "Modeling Instruction Workshops Nationwide in Summer 2008".

Modeling Workshops are peer-led. Modeling Instruction is the only high
school science program recognized by the U.S. Dept.of Education as
EXEMPLARY.
At some sites, stipends and/or free tuition are available for in-state
teachers. (Teachers from any state can apply for a stipend at Miami FL.)

Teachers greatly value Modeling Instruction. Teachers all over the
nation have written many unsolicited laudatory e-mails; for example:
* The modeling workshop I attended at ASU was the most valuable
professional development I have ever had as a physics teacher. [She
attended in 1992. Wow!]
* I attended a workshop in St. Louis, Missouri in 2000. Hal Harris of
UMSL and Rex Rice were coordinating. I have been using modeling ever since
- love it!
* I am a true believer. And so are my students. They have said on numerous
occasions that they have learned more this year than they ever did in all of
the other science classes. [A chemistry teacher in Wisconsin]
* I'm in my first year of using the Modeling curriculum (after eight
years of conventional physics teaching)Š What a pleasure it is to be
Modeling :-)

Jane Jackson, Co-Director, Modeling Instruction Program
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics, ASU, Tempe, AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7565 <http://modeling.asu.edu>
For 17 years, the Modeling Instruction Program has been
helping teachers attain knowledge and skills needed
to benefit their students. Modeling Instruction is the
only high school science program recognized as Exemplary
by the U.S. Department of Education.