Re: [Phys-l] Capacitance problem

At 01:30 PM 3/25/2008, you wrote:

I've been told that this problem is not analytically solvable--which is
interesting because it's a simple circuit that could be wired up and
tested...which we're doing now.

http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/PH2260/CapProblem.pdf

I'd be interested in your comments.

Mike Meyer

Though the top capacitor soon reaches the supply voltage in this case,
a capacitor with an intermittent charging current need not make it so far,
if the charge path includes a diode, zener, gas tube etc. instead of the
second capacitor.

The path that includes a resistor instead, is most clear cut.
The case for an inductor in the charge path is more interesting.
If the charging pulse rate approaches the series resonance condition,
I expect the voltage across the cap could show some interesting
values.

Apropos electric circuits, I notice that the Amateur radio tests no
longer necessitate learning Morse, and as you may know, there never
was an age limit. One of these tests might be a suitable objective
for young people - there are three: technician, General and Extra.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!