[Phys-l] Why we don't John Cleese walk, A study in ergonomics

"Even though human legs allow a wide repertoire of movements, when people travel by foot they mostly use one of two locomotor patterns, namely, walking and running. The selection of these two gaits from the plethora of options might be because walking and running require less metabolic energy than other more unusual gaits. We addressed this possibility previously using numerical optimization of a minimal mathematical model of a biped. We had found that, for a given step- length, the two classical descriptions of walking and running, ‘inverted pendulum walking' and 'impulsive running', do indeed minimize the amount of positive work required at low and high speeds respectively ..."

Not from the Annals of Improbable Research

http://journals.royalsociety.org/content/12467200h1224463/? p=8b2f07b3b3bf4982b07bb49eb7fbe473&pi=2

bc thanks UnderNews