Re: [Phys-l] Gauss' Law

John and Joel,

Thanks for your comments.

Alfredo,

Your comment below cleared things up for me.

Thank you,

Bob Carlson

--- Alfredo Louro <louro.alfredo@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Robert Carlson
<rcarlson@physicstoolkit.com> wrote:

Now, my understanding of Gauss' Law is that it
only
tells me what the gravitational field is on the
Gaussian surface due to the mass inside the
Gaussian
surface. It does not tell me anything about the
gravitational field on the Gaussian surface due
mass outside the surface.

Actually, Gauss' theorem does tell you something
about the sources
outside the Gaussian surface, and if the field is
nice and
symmetrical, it tells you everything you need to
know.

Gauss' theorem implies that the flux through a
closed surface due to
sources outside it, is zero. If the field has, for
example, spherical
symmetry and you choose a sphere as a Gaussian
surface, then the field
over the surface is uniform, and perpendicular to
the surface. Then
the only way you can get zero flux is if the field
is uniformly zero
over the surface.

By integrating, numerically or analytically, of
course you will get
the same result, but this does not give more
information than Gauss'
theorem. G's theorem is just a very elegant way of
doing the
integration for you.

Alfredo