Re: [Phys-l] pre-to-post tests as measures of learning/teaching #2

-- -- --
This year I have tried to spend more time on making sure the kids actually understand what is happening before loading them up with problems to solve. While I am trying to keep it from becoming a 'conceptual physics' class I have also been working to make it more accessible to more kids.
-- -- --

Taking the above post and going slightly off on a tangent...

I like Alan Van Heuvelen's Overview Case Study Physics. There are some variations now, but I like the OCS Physics stuff. Start with a few days of conceptual approach. Solve graphical problems and problems with multiple representations to start, maybe a few 1 eqn calculations. Then move into larger calc & case-study probs. The initial stage of conceptual physics with multiple representations is not necessarily easy. Some of the conceptual, graphical analysis questions can be pretty challenging for a kid starting out in physics.

If you have online access to AJP, you can look into OCS Physics below.

http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=AJPIAS000059000010000898000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes

There are also packets Van Heuvelen referrs to as Active Learning Problem Solving kits (ALPS). I am sure they are online somewhere. Pretty good content. The graphics are a bit dated, but the content is good. I'd add that VanHeuvelen is now at Rutgers. I think they have some materials on the paer.rutgers.edu site.

To wonder is to begin to understand.

Paul Lulai
Physics Teacher
St. Anthony Village Senior High