Re: [Phys-l] pre-to-post tests as measures of learning/teaching

Physics educators may or may not be interested in a recent post "Re: pre-to-post tests as measures of learning/teaching" [Hake (2008)]. The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: Barry Hicks, in his Chemed-L post titled "pre-to-post tests as measures of learning/teaching" raised five points regarding pre-to-post tests as measures of learning/teaching which I shall paraphrase as:
(1) Are pre-to-post test gains a reliable assessment of learning/teaching?;
(2) I hear about this crap from fuzzy departments and have to shake my head;
(3) A student new to a course does poorly on a test at the start of a course but better on the same test at the end of the course - stop the presses! - publish this extraordinary result!
(4) What added value is pre/post testing?
(5) Do others do this pre/post testing?
Other points added by Chemed-L'ers in reply to Hicks's post are:
(6) Any controlled experiments to determine (a) the halo effect of pretesting and (b) question familiarity with pretesting?
(7) When money is a conflict of interest, the administrators will cause teachers to teach to the test.
(8) If students are not graded on the test results, how do you get them to take the test seriously?
In this post I address the above 8 points,

To access the entire 43 kB (!) post please click on <http://tinyurl.com/3booqj>.

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>