Re: [Phys-l] Machining Tolerances (was Another uncertainties question...)

Thanks all of you.

bc remembers Joe knew and didn't express curiosity or surprise at
Potsdam. He'd probably long before had ordered their Manhattan
Project, which makes me think the machining, was irrelevant to history.
What would've changed history is if FDR's third Veep had been his last;
I think. OTOH, Edgar probably woulda had him assassinated.

http://www.christers.net/veeps/henry-wallace.html

Gee a "real" scientist for a president!

Edmiston, Mike wrote:

A good example of asymmetric machining tolerances is when one part needs
to fit inside another part.

cut

ay
you have learned something about specifying tolerances." Then he took
the flange, shaved off a few mills, and said, "Now it will fit. Don't
make that mistake again."

He was an excellent machinist who typically made things within a
tenth-mil of the given dimension even if tolerances were looser than
that. It didn't even take him extra time to do very precise machining.
He was also an excellent teacher.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University