[Phys-l] formatting uncertainties (was: New gravitational constant)

In the context of
6.67255 ± 0.001 [1]

On 01/22/2008 11:42 PM, Savinainen Antti wrote:
... So it is taught even in high school that you are not
supposed to report a number like that

OK, we all agree that students *are* taught in high school
not to report numbers like that.

My question is, _why_ are they taught that? I don't see
anything wrong with such an expression, and indeed there
are situations where such an expression is entirely
appropriate, as discussed below.

Note that for present purposes, it is irrelevant whether
expression [1] is the correct value of "G" or anything
else. That is, the semantics of expression [1] are
irrelevant. The topic of discussion is whether expression
[1] is _syntactically_ acceptable or not.

The conceptual foundation for any understanding of uncertainty
rests on the mathematics of probability. An expression such
as [1] represents an probability distribution, not a simple
number.

So my question can be restated in more quantitative terms:
Supposing that we have a distribution with mean of 6.67255
and standard deviation of 0.001, why should anyone be told
they are not supposed to report it as having that mean and
that standard deviation?

Subsidiary questions include
-- Is there a rule that says "anything that can be rounded
should be rounded"??? Where did that rule come from?
Is there any reason to believe that is a wise rule?

-- Is there any reason to believe that in this context
6.67255 can safely be rounded? How do you know? How
sure are you of that?