Re: [Phys-l] The attack on science is political, not philosophical

I'm less concerned about motivations than what I perceive to be the purpose of public education. In my mind, it is to serve the society as a whole. It is paid for by the tax-payers. A student's parents are a VERY small subset of that society and therefore I have problems with parents being able to opt their children out of portions of that education. In many cases they can even opt their children out of special education that has been diagnosed as needed by the child. Parents, of course have the 'right' to opt out of public education altogether--private school, home schooling--but selective opt-outs should not, IMO, be part of the public system.

Rick

***************************
Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
******************************
Free Physics Software
PC & Mac

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Mackey" <jmackey@harding.edu>

I'm glad to know that Alfredo knows all parents who might object to
evolutional teaching and that their interest is in power and control,
instead of what they (right or wrong) believe to be in the best interests of
their children. I can relax secure in the knowledge that an all knowing
authority ( tic) has spoken!
James Mackey