Re: [Phys-l] A physicist and his background

"... and I appreciated being forced to think about the fact that tolerance is not always a virtue."

Laurent Hodges

Careful there you don't want to be compared w/ Goldwater, do you?

[I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!]

bc not serious.

p.s. I think in some cases courts have ruled against the Watch tower people forcing blood transfusions on minors.

Laurent Hodges wrote:

Do children have rights? Do parents have the right to deny their children
needed medical care? Do they have the right to prevent their children from learning knowledge, especially that taught by noted scholars? This is basically about rights.
cut

Minnesota. He told me his story, getting progressively redder in the face and angrier thinking back on it. He had grown up in one of the isolated Amish or Amish-like religious communities that prohibited contact with the external world. His own curiosity and intellectual abilities had led him to make a traumatic break with the community and escape it, finding some way to get an education and eventually even a Ph.D. in physics. He was so angry thinking back on his parents and the community leaders, and kept telling me this was serious child abuse, and a completely unconscionable crime.
I was afraid ever to discuss his background with him again, and never did, but I remember his reaction so very clearly. I'm sure what he said was a correct description, and I appreciated being forced to think about the fact that tolerance is not always a virtue.

Laurent Hodges