Re: [Phys-l] Chalk affects teaching quality.

And the skinny chalk doesn't stay in the chalkholder. Will the Chalkholder manufacturers change their design to accommodate the smaller chalk?

Steve Clark

On Jan 10, 2008, at 4:02 PM, William Maddox wrote:

From: WC Maddox

One brand of chalk used here was harder to erase as well as easier to break.

End Message

At 01:54 PM 1/10/2008, you wrote:
[2nd attempt.]

ANALS OF IMPROBABLE RESEARCH - Crayola has made their chalk thinner. It
is not much thinner. But it is thinner enough. It is also shorter. I
went back to my office and found an old box with two pieces of chalk.
The new pieces are thinner, shorter and don't write as dark. It is
annoying. I was in the middle of a lecture and picked up a new piece of
chalk. The quality of my teaching immediately went down. I am not
joking. It was all I could do to not break down crying. I tried all the
pieces in the new box. They were no good.

Back in my office I checked the boxes. The old size was 3 1/2 long by
3/8 inch thick. The new chalk is 3 by 5/16. And the new box has French
on it. The old box said "Crayola Anti-Dust Chalk." The new box says "An
du septic Chalk".

I want my old chalk back!

http://improbable.com/2008/01/07/unhappiness-with-chalk/

bc thinks the professor should stop lecturing, and switch to interactive
engagement of the students.

p.s. My source titled it: "CHALK IT UP TO NEO-CAPITALISM"