Re: [Phys-l] Intelligent designists fight back

Hi all-
I can agree with much of the following. I see a couple of weaknesses.
1. Statements of the nataure of ''evolution [micro or macro] is a fact" suffer from want of a definition of "evolution". If we mean, as I would, the process of change by accumulation of random genetic variations,
then it is not a "fact", but an inference, albeit a very strong inference.
2. There is a simple proposition in logic; no proposition is provable unless it is a tautology (as are all mathematical propositions). None of Newton's laws, for example, can be proved without first establishing some prior assumptions and definitions that make the laws tautological.
3. Darwinian evolution, as presently developed, is a remarkably successful model of the history of life. It has some gaps. It does not explain the origin of life, nor does it explain, for example, why vertebrates have oodles more gut bacteria than invertebrates. We are not less than honest, then, in teaching that Darwinian evolution is a model; it is not a "fact". It is also honest to teach that there are no viable competing models.
4. The "fact", "theory" dichotomy is a red-herring that should be discounted IMO. It is not what the dialogue is really about. As a high school history teacher, whose past included dealing poker in a saloon, once taughtd me, "Never play another man's game." "Fact" vs. "theory" is nott our game and we should avoid it.
Regards,
Jack