Re: [Phys-l] g & E fields

From: WC Maddox

The human eye/brain cannot detect light variations on the time scale of one period of a light wave. The intensity we observe is determined by the average value of the Poynting vector. For a sine wave type variation of electric field the average is proportional to 1/2 of square of E(max). For two waves of equal amplitude and in phase, E(max) = 2 x E(peak of one wave). See Sears and Zemansky for further details.

End Message