Re: [Phys-l] Intelligent designists fight back.

Paul,

Maybe this will help.

http://physicstoolkit.com/mctc/la00010.htm

Bob Carlson

--- Paul Lulai <plulai@stanthony.k12.mn.us> wrote:

I'm curious what the list thinks. I'll take any
comments as constructive criticism.

My h.s. students will do modeling-type labs. For
example, plot *Fnet* vs. *a* for a constant mass
system. They determine meanings of y-intercept,
slope. Then they relate the y=mx+b eqn to variables
with which we've become familiar. What can we do to
change y-int? What can we do to change slope? What
can we do to change eqn from linear to quadratic?
The y-int, slope questions are pretty tough for high
schoolers. When we get to changing eqn, we
eventually get to an answer that we can't. Why?
Cuz this is the way the universe seems to work. We
collect data. We plot it. We model it. This is
what we get. Why? Dunno. I say that if we
continue to ask 'why' that at some point, we get to
an answer of 'because', or 'because that is what the
data shows.'

I am sure that there are comments on the above.
Here is where I expect to take more shots. I'll
listen (read) them with an open mind. Thanks in
advance...
If a kid asks for more on why the equation is
linear. WHY is it Fnet = ma, we review data
collection, we review the mathematical model, we
review that this model appears to work for all
motion. Why does this model work? Dunno. These
are the rules of the universe. "If you want to know
why it is linear, ask whoever created the universe.
They appear to have made the rules. We just want to
find the models the universe follows. In this class
we try to find the rules.
Similarly, if creationism comes up, I will ask them
for the numerical data that they have, we'll plot it
out graphically and see what we get. We discuss
that science uses data to create rules that the
universe appears to follow. If there are conflicts,
we do our best to resolve them. When they say it is
silly to plot out creationism, or I am just being
difficult, then I ask them when they last asked
their priest or holy person to explain Kirchoff's
Rules.

Where am I in trouble.

Thanks for you input.

plulai