Re: [Phys-l] earth's rotation

Quoting Brian Whatcott <betwys1@sbcglobal.net>:
Well, its impossible for the Earth to rotate from West to East,
seeing that the definition of East is the direction the Earth
rotates toward, and the definition of West is the direction the
Earth rotates from. Asking this question is sort of like asking
what would happen if green was magenta and yellow was blue.

David Bowman

Surely not!
The renowned David Bowman metaphorically pointing out a spelling error
in a technical note? Tell me it's not so! :-)

If rotating from West to East is considered anticlockwise from the "top", then let's start viewing from the "bottom". The Earth would then appear to rotate clockwise.

Perhaps, we could change the terminology altogether and ask the question differently: What happen if both the Sun and Earth are "spin up"? What happen if one is "spin up", the other is "spin down"... etc? :-)
Rhetorical questions? :-)

Alphonsus