Re: [Phys-l] Fun orbital problem

On Jan 2, 2008, at 10:48 AM, John Mallinckrodt wrote:

Apropos of nothing in particular, here's a fun problem whose solution
may raise more questions in your mind:

Three particles interact only gravitationally, follow circular
orbits, and remain at all times collinear. The radii of two of the
orbits is unity. What is the radius of the third?

I simulated such system with I.P., which ignores perturbations. The result was as realistic as a pencil standing permanently on its sharp tip. But it was still a result. Only two stars were on the common circular orbit, the third was in the center. I also simulated a system of three stars sharing a circular orbit. But they did not remain collinear. I do not know how to answer the above question.
Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physicist
5 Horizon Road, apt. 2702, Fort Lee, NJ, 07024, USA
Also an amateur journalist at http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/