Re: [Phys-l] Simulating a disturbance of a stable planetary system.

How about the term 'equilibrium'?

I think that it might more clearly relate to this discussion.

Two body orbits remain in equilibrium when disturbed but are no longer in the same 'state'.

A reclining cone remains in equilibrium when disturbed but not in the same state.
A standing cone is in equilibrium so dramatically that it is often referred to as Stable Equilibrium.
It is of course more rightly seen as a Meta-Stable equilibrium when the disturbance is comparable to the 'depth of the equilibrium well'.

Meta-Stable equilibria are important in many physics and chemistry discussions. (maybe even biology and ecology?)

(lots more undefined terms - but maybe a glimmer of understanding?)

Feynmann was certainly correct when he would scorn the
'Give it a Name and we'll Understand it'
attitude but he could also give very perceptive analysis of/with variety of terminologies..