[Phys-l] terminology

Another word which is often misused by common people is "power."
Ludwik

On Dec 4, 2008, at 10:05 AM, chuck britton wrote:

Physics teacher rant mode ON.

On Dec 4, 2008, at Dec 4(Thu) 9:19 , Rick Tarara wrote:

I think the answer to your questions is wrapped up in the
difference between
temperature and thermal energy (usually called heat, although some
physicists violently object to that terminology).

The only physicists that I know who object to the term 'heat' are
those involved in pedagogy rather than the PRACTICE of physics.
The objectors may be involved in BOTH teaching and practice - but
those who don't teach - don't object to the word at all.

(IMHO - and now is when I will proceed to really get some folks
really irritated - if you get irritated - so be it, but lets keep it
civil)

Just because most people don't have a basic understanding of a word
does NOT mean that we should relegate that word to the dustbin.
Instead - let's see if we can 'educate' them gently about the 'real'
meaning of that word.
Sure - the caloric theory won't die easily - but let's not throw out
the baby with the bathwater.

And on THAT note I'll add:

Most people don't realized that there is more to Family Planning than
abortion.
These people need to be educated.
Family Planning is WAY too important to be squashed by a group of
radicals.

Same goes for 'heat'
A perfectly good four letter Anglo-Saxon word that most people use
quite freely - but may not fully appreciate ;-)