Re: [Phys-l] Percent KE retained in perfectly inelastic collision

In response to Michael's question about the student who answered the question about the percent KE retained by using vf/v1i, this is something I show my intro. physics students at least twice.

In analyzing a ballistic pendulum, for instance, you get this result. I derive it by saying:

KE initial = 0.5 m v1i^2 = 0.5 (m v1i) v1i

KE final = 0.5 M vf^2 = 0.5 (M vf) vf

The 0.5's cancel, and then the terms in brackets cancel - conservation of linear momentum - which quickly leads to exactly what the student got:

KEf/KEi = vf/v1i

I do a similar thing later in the semester in analyzing the rotational KE of a figure skater who pulls her arms in, to show that the rotational KE goes up when she does this.

As for where the student got it from, that's a good question. It would be interesting to ask the student and see what he says.

cheers,

Andrew Duffy
Boston University