[Phys-l] Bernoulli Effect

In describing the Bernoulli effect to high school students I invariably get stuck on one particular question and I wonder if someone can help give me the "high school" words necessary to answer this question.

When looking at the cross section of a wing, I have always said that the air flow under the wing (which is a relatively flat surface) is slower than the air flow over the top of the wing which is curved. The question from them is "why isn't it just as likely that he air over the top of the wing does not speed up and simply takes a longer time to travel the longer distance over the curved section of the wing?".
Any assistance would be welcome. Thanks, David Abineri

--
D. Abineri dabineri@fuse.net