Re: [Phys-l] Help! An explanation for the laity

Thanks! That might do it.
I think he already understands: If the the dissipation is linear, then the slower the pendulum or other simple harmonic device moves the less the dissipation. The loss is directly proportional to the initial speed which is proportional to the amplitude if simple harmonic motion. The pendulum is, only in the small angle approximation region.

So I think I can qualitatively begin to answer his question. W/ your help. This results in exponential decay. Anything that decreases proportional to its initial value is described by exp[- anything * t]. e.g. nuclear decay and lin. damped SHM. (charges in a resistive medium?) Why? Read below:

bc now will likely need to explain slope and should have titled it: Help! An explanation for bc and the laity.

Carl Mungan wrote:

What he means is why is a log used

Because it's the inverse of an exponential.
Why is an exponential used?
Because it's the special function whose value is equal to its slope everywhere.
Why is that useful?
Because the rate of change of quantity y is proportional to the amount y left.