Re: [Phys-l] Cramster.com

Two students in my university General Chemistry II course purchased solutions to text problems. It was easy to determine that they had obtained the solution-manual answers, as they made little attempt to change the wording. When confronted, both admitted obtaining the answers "online", and could not understand why their actions would be considered dishonest. I immediately switched to assignments containing questions that I had written (or rewritten from other sources). [Despite student requests, I did not and will not publish the solutions to my problem sets, as I was and am certain that the solutions would enter the public domain, rendering my assignments no more useful than textbook questions.]

Even at the university level, students seem to view education as a contest. Assignments are therefore part of the "us vs. them" struggle, to be circumvented at every opportunity, and are not viewed as they are meant--as tools to assist learning.

--Daniel Price, Columbine High School