Re: [Phys-l] [tap-l] sprinkler

I'd like to salute the artificer who designed and built this sprinkler head.
I chose instead the brute force method, with a half horse water pump
and plumbed stop cocks sucking or blowing from/to a commercial
sprinkler head. The inverse acceleration effect escaped me altogether.

One contribution to the failure was a detail of the rotor bearing,
which was essentially fluidic when blown, but a plain bearing
when sucked. I can imagine that the UMaryland implementation used
two small ball races (like those in a skate board wheel?) with a very
small air gap in the fluid connection, but details would be interesting.

Brian W