[Phys-l] Treatment of Experimental Error

Lets suppose we have just taken a series of eight measurements
for each of two experimental conditions.

We carefully arranged an internal control scheme so that the
eight measurements could be taken in pairs, for which we expect
each pair to be identical.
If we note the difference between each [identical] pair is in fact
0.4 cm, -0.237 cm, -0.374 cm, and -0.198 cm in Case #1
AND
0.301 cm, 0.341 cm, and 0.482 cm in the other case ( the fourth pair
is expected to be unbalanced) can anyone tell me what value
we should assign to the experimental error of a particular reading?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!