Re: [Phys-l] Work done on tyre

Quoting John Denker <jsd@av8n.com>:
Is this a thermodynamics problem? I'd say not, since it doesn't
involve the second law. For that matter, it doesn't really depend
on the first law, either; a high-school-physics notion of
work = force * distance
suffices, doesn't it?

What am I missing? Is there a tricky trap here that makes this
harder than it looks? If so, I fell into the trap ... please
explain.

Thanks for the responses from John, Jack, etc…
Actually, this question has many “traps”.
1. First “Trap”: Some students consider that there is no work done on fixed volume tyre.

Work done = p (deltaV) = 0 since the tyre does not expand.
(By the way, the rubber tyre may contract when heat is absorbed.)

2. Second “Trap”: Some apply First Law:
Delta U = Q + W
Assume there is no heat transfer, rubber tyre is a very good insulator, Q = 0

Work done = Delta U = 3RT/2 (n2 – n1)

3. Third “Trap”: Some carry out the integral of pdV.

Work done = Integral of pdV = nRT ln (V2 / V1)

4. Fourth “Trap”: One is concerned with the possibility of calculating the heat transfer. Could this be pseudowork? Could internal energy be considred differently...

U = E(kinetic) + E(interaction) + E(particle)
E(interaction) may refer to the potential energy depending on the relative coordinates of the particles, and may also depend on the different types of gases introduced into the tyre. Different gases in the tyre may have different “interaction” energies.

Actually, i don't know the “correct” answer, but it is interesting that many students view the question differently. Perhaps, the one who set the question may have other insights too… By the way, a colleague just posed me this PhD qualifying Exam question: How many magnetic field lines are there in the universe? The answer is ONE!
Is this another fair question? Have Fun!

Best regards,
Alphonsus