Re: [Phys-l] Another tire question

On 11/07/2007 03:21 PM, Rick Tarara wrote:

If the tire is sitting on the ground--no wheel involved--we would not split
it in two. We would say that the ground pushes up on the tire. When I
stand on the floor, the floor pushes up only on my feet, but we say that the
floor pushes up on me. We resort to tension/stiffness/compression and the
like to explain how these contact forces are 'distributed' over all parts of
the object. I guess my concern here was--why consider the tire in halves
and not thirds, 10ths, or whatever. Why are we isolating the effect of the
ground to the lower half and not distributing it to the whole tire

Any serious analysis would consider at *least* ten sectors,
dividing up the azimuth.

However, at the level of an "Introduction to Practical Physics"
course, analyzing only the 12:00 sector and the 6:00 sector
gives the flavor of what's going on, to first order.

The second-order things are treeemendously more complicated.