Re: [Phys-l] About 'electrostatic lifter'

On 11/07/2007 02:48 PM, rcarabaj@copelnet.com.ar wrote:

Yesterday we had an interest Lab experience, in
which an advanced student showed his version of the so called ‘electrostatic
lifter’, This device basically have two
pieces isolated each other, one is a wired
triangle,

OK.

. the other is a 3-flat surface triangle,

If it has three flat surfaces, it isn't a triangle.
But I don't need to know what shape it really is;
I'm assuming it is acting as a corona point, and
given a voltage of 30 kV almost any pointy shape
will work just fine. The breakdown limit for air
is about 3 MV/m or about 30 kV/cm, so if the corners
on the "triangle" are smaller than 1 mm we are deep
into the corona regime.

which are connected to a high voltage source
about 30 Kvolts. This device levitates thanks to its light weight. There is a similar device
in this moment at You Tube – Electrostatic
Lifter – .

We developed some theories, like ‘ions
wind’ which seemed acceptable.

Sure.

The problem came arise when we inverted the polarity and
the device continue levitating exactly in the same way.

Why is that a problem?

The I/V characteristic for positive corona is different than
for negative corona, but both exist.

If that doesn't answer the question, please rephrase the
question. Please be more specific about what the "problem"
is.