Re: [Phys-l] online texts via archive.org

"... what we would nowadays call 'methods of experimental physics'; it does not have much to do with the application of physics to everyday situations."

Come John, you know practical, WRT physics (science in general) teaching, means lab. in the UK. To verify I found the second author was knighted in 1922.

bc "got" his PhD in England and demonstrated practicals.

John Denker wrote:

[a similar message went out earlier, sent by mistake, with the
wrong Subject: line and unfinished contents]

cut

BTW note that "practical physics" evidently means different things to different people. There is a short "Practical Physics" book by Barton & Black (1922) that covers what we would nowadays call "methods of
experimental physics"; it does not have much to do with the application of physics to everyday situations. I'm not recommending Barton & Black; the methods it describes are mostly quite out-of-date, so I reckon it would appeal to history buffs only. It makes quite a contrast with Millikan & Gale, which was published in the same year, but doesn't seem nearly as out-of-date.