Re: [Phys-l] Configurational energy

John Denker wrote:

4) In physics and related disciplines, "potential" means positional, and has been used in this
sense more-or-less consistently since about 1840 (or perhaps earlier; I don't know). This extends
to gravitational potential, electrostatic potential, et cetera. By a further extension, any
functions of state are called thermodynamic potentials e.g. chemical potential, Gibbs potential, et
cetera (which exist in an abstract state-space, not in prosaic position-space).

This is helpful! I always believed that "potential" meant in physics that the force (or more
abstract quantities) could be computed by taking the grad (*) of the "potential"... I always found
very disturbing that the gradients of the numerous thermodynamics potentials were of no interest.
(*) or maybe rotational for the electromagnetic potential vector.

It has removed 5538 spam emails to date.