Re: [Phys-l] starlight deflection

Do I detect, both in the question and in Joel's answer, an "ever so slight" hint of non third-law-ism? ;-)

John

David wrote:

Starlight deflects as it grazes the sun, as the sun's mass warps space...so the vector momentum of a photon is altered by its encounter with the sun. But an altered momentum means that a force was exerted. So, does the starlight tug ever-so-slightly on the sun? ...

to which Joel responded:

... So I say that they do tug, ever so slightly back on the sun.

A. JOHN MALLINCKRODT
Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona
http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm