[Phys-l] Danger: off list (personal history and political). Was: Re: Have youall had enuff on "Global Warming"?

I wonder if "we" are so litigious over what is taught in school because of guilt. This could be checked by data on home schoolers' suits vs. public schools parents. I thought the reason most such suits was the importance of schools in indoctrination *. I heard from my LDS (Mormon) relatives the importance of their children continuing in LDS youth groups etc., as College is when most "lose their faith". That's when my mother did and that was in a Mormon dominated school. (Logan, UT.) Curiously, it was the extra theology courses she attended that did it. She didn't leave the Church and be excommunicated 'till about twenty years later. That was the result of her becoming Religious Ed. director at the local Unitarian Church!

The law in the UK is quite different in regard to libel and slander, witness all the suits initiated by celebrities.

* I remember, as a student volunteer, projecting a frankly pro-capitalist film in history class. I, of course, had to sign a loyalty oath before volunteering. (During the "Haunted fifties.)
bc thinks all the above is minor compared to our loss of Habeas Corpus. and can't remember the names of friends, but remembers much of the plot of THAT film!

John Clement wrote:

Has anyone sued the textbook publishers for inaccuracies in the texts???

One current chemistry text said that "a hypothesis becomes a theory after it
has been well verified"

Apparently elementary teachers are telling students that you can't divide a
small number by a larger one, and this is still being said by students in
HS.

Oh, and climatologists were claiming that the arctic would take a long time
to become clear of ice, but recent evidence has pointed to an extremely
rapid melting of the arctic ice. Even at my age, I suspect I will see a
summer when the arctic is free of ice.

So in Britain they sue over global warming, and in the US over evolution.
Which is least worse???
John M. Clement
Houston, TX

BRITISH JUDGE QUESTIONS SOME OF GORE'S ARGUMENTS IN FILM

GUARDIAN - Al Gore's Oscar-winning documentary on global warming, An
Inconvenient Truth, was yesterday criticized by a high court judge who
highlighted what he said were "nine scientific errors" in the film. Mr
Justice Barton yesterday said that while the film was "broadly accurate"
in its presentation of climate change, he identified nine significant

cut