Re: [Phys-l] Practical Physics

--- John SOHL <jsohl@weber.edu> wrote:

I have been wondering about creating a course in applied
physics for non-science majors.

First, you have probably already thought about Louis
Bloomfield of the University of Virgina, How Thing Work.
Check out <http://howthingswork.virginia.edu/>. He has lots
of online resources. I like the first edition of his text
better than the color second edition. The book is organized
by device and has some math, but not a lot. It is easy,
however, to supplement the course with additional algebra
and the problems at the ends of the chapter are really
interesting.

Second, the old Physics of Technology series, published by
the American Association of Physics Teachers back in the
70's, is pretty cool. Each 30-page booklet covers the
physics behind how some bit of technology works, like a
slide projector, space heater, camera, etc. Although they
are out of date, they are an excellent format for learning.
Each one covers the varying bits of physics for that
device, and by looking at several devices, the overall
concepts can be taught. These are pretty hard to track down
these days. You can find them off and on at Ebay. Check
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29223&item=140165808000>
or <http://tinyurl.com/yrmpuo>

I have pretty much every booklet, and I can make some
photocopies if you'd like.

Third, check out the web. Various people have put some
significant effort to explaining different topics. The
level of detail is often amazing. Check out the Physics of
Racing (Cars) at <http://phors.locost7.info/contents.htm>
or Musical Acoustics at
<http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/basics.html>

These sites are amazing. They teach solid physics but
include the dirty and messy parts of the real world that
make the topics more interesting.

Marc "Zeke" Kossover

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658