Re: [Phys-l] Interactive Lecture at U. Maryland (was Article aboutinteractive lecture. . . . )

The article in question is not posted on the web, so one needs to read it to
see exactly what was measured. But...
a. The pedagogy was judged by a student survey
b. The result was the grade in a presumable traditional course.

Interactive engagement is still a small fraction of currently used HS
pedagogy, so such a survey is unlikely to be able to measure it. One can
only measure superficial aspects of a course by such a means. Students can
only really report aspects such as the fraction of labs, the coverage of the
book... I might be proven wrong after I look at the survey.

A more meaningful measurement might be to assess the HS courses using the
FCI/FMCE, and then see how the students do in
a. a traditional course
b. an interactive engagement course.

Sadler also calls into question the effectiveness of physics first. I would
agree with this if the physics first is taught by traditional means. Again,
most physics first courses are probably taught traditionally, so they are no
more effective than the current IPC courses. I would also agree that the
linkage between physics, chem., and bio are not as strong as has been
proposed.

Sadler has shown in a separate study that more depth and less coverage in HS
improves results in a traditional college course, which is exactly what PER
shows on the FCI/FMCE. He also shows a strong linkage between HS math and a
subsequent traditional physics course, but a weaker linkage with a
traditional HS physics course. Unfortunately, HS math is often taught with
such low understanding, that students can not use it. So both HS math and
science need radical reforms in what and how it is taught.

As to the class size issue, most physics courses tend to have about the same
class size, except for exceptional schools. Traditional pedagogy should
work equally as well or as poorly in large or small classes. Some forms of
interactive engagement needs interaction with a trained instructor. The
lecture form will probably not work as well in HS.

I am currently trying to get a copy of the article. So far I have only come
up with popularized accounts of it, which are at best marginally useful in
judging what was actually measured.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Perhaps Richard would like to comment on "Results show
no differences for pedagogy and student achievement
until class sizes fall to 10 or fewer students",
posted
by Patricia T. Viele below to phys-l under the Class
Size subject heading.

Bob Carlson

Title: High School Class-Size and College Performance
in Science
Authors: Wyss, Vanessa L.; Tai, Robert H.; Sadler,
Philip M.
Descriptors: Physics; College Science; Multiple
Regression Analysis;
Academic Achievement; Class Size; High Schools;
Student Experience;
Biology; Chemistry; Teaching Methods; Racial
Differences
Source: High School Journal, v90 n3 p45-53 Feb-Mar
2007

This paper focuses on the influence of high school
science class size

on students' achievement in introductory college
science courses and
on the variation of teacher practice across class
size. Surveys
collected information about high school science
class experiences
from
2754 biology, 3521 chemistry, and 1903 physics
students across 36
public and 19 private institutions from 31 different
states. The
first
analysis includes a cross-tabulation of 6 different
class sizes and
the frequencies of teacher practices reported by
students. The second

analysis includes a multiple linear regression of
class size and
student achievement. Results show no differences for
pedagogy and
student achievement until class sizes fall to 10 or
fewer students.
These findings suggest that incremental reductions
in class size are
likely not to have a significant impact on later
student achievement.

(Contains 1 figure, 1 table, and 5 footnotes.)