Re: [Phys-l] [ap-physics] The Swinging Bucket Problem

Hi.

You're right Jack, Centripetal does not mean total. I guess I should be
more careful in my use of the terminology. While it doesn't mean total,
I believe that centripetal force is the sum of the forces that act
radially.

For students, 1-term named forces (tension, gravity, normal) are not a
sum of anything. They are "A" force. I think this causes some
confusion for the student. Calling it sum of forces acting radially,
net radial force,... can remove some of this trouble.
Again, I agree that the name is not the MOST important thing. If
everyone agrees on the meaning, then there is no trouble. However, at
the high school level (w/ a wide range of abilities in class), some
(few) have trouble distinguishing velocity from acceleration. Newbies
don't always agree on the meaning of the term.

Have a good one.

Paul Lulai . . . To wonder is to begin to understand
Physics Instructor
Saint Anthony Village Senior High School, ISD 282
3303 33rd Avenue N.E.
Saint Anthony Village, MN 55418

(w) 612-706-1144
(fax) 612-706-1140