Re: [Phys-l] [ap-physics] The Swinging Bucket Problem

"how fast do I have to spin a bucket in a vertical circle to avoid
water spilling out?" problem. It's got plenty of
subtleties to help
divide those who really understand the situation from the plug and
chuggers (for instance, anyone who draws tension in as a
force on the
water is probably not thinking too carefully about the situation).

I am puzzled by the obvious derision being heaped upon
someone who would include the tension in the string in his
analysis. The AHA! moment here is when one realizes that as
the speed is lowered the acceleration at the top is provided
less and less by the tension while the gravitational force
(weight) remains the same - eventually becoming the only
force needed to ensure the circular motion. I would suspect
that any approach which uses a free body diagram that does
not include tension is simply guess work on the student's part.

Bob at PC

The string is not touching the water. Hence the string is exerting no
force on the water.