Re: [Phys-l] Purpose of education. Was: Re: Kozol fasts to protest NCLB - defense of unions

Both Bernard and Jack seem to have a particular restrictive ideas as to what 'to be a productive member of society' means. Nothing that has been offered in response is inconsistent with being a productive member. One who is not socialized into the society won't be productive. Producing productive citizens is far from trivial.

Rick

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bernard Cleyet" <bernardcleyet@redshift.com>

According to Webster [1822], Education: "... a wise and liberal system
of police *, by which property, and life, and the peace of society are
secured."

"For the umpteenth time, the only reason for tax-payer supported education is to produce productive members of the society."

* an argument for paying them more than half police pay?

bc doesn't think so.

p.s. Living w/ a kinder / first grade teacher * has convinced me
socialization is an important purpose; remember the book?

All I Really Need To Know I Learned in Kindergarten is a book of short
essays <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essay> by Robert Fulghum
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Fulghum>, first published in 1986
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986>.

In Sweden children are not enrolled 'till they can read, so I was told
by a mother. Much socialization will be complete by then.

* She quit sixth after a year, w/ the comment the behaviour was no
longer age appropriate.

Jack Uretsky wrote:

This sounds to me like a fundamentalist (I'm confident that Rick
is not a fundamentalist) trivialization of the purpose of public
education.