Re: [Phys-l] Kozol fasts to protest NCLB - defense of unions

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Rauber, Joel
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2007 9:31 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Kozol fasts to protest NCLB - defense of unions

John C. wrote:

| > |
| One way to look at this would be to compare test results on a
| state by state basis with the tenure laws. Since some states
| do not have tenure it might be possible to do a statistical
| analysis and see if there is a correlation.
| There should be 50 data points so this is a manageable
| problem. Anyone want to come up with some real answers????
|
| Of course to do it right one should correct for SES.

It would also be interesting to do such a study comparing states where
it is legal for teachers to strike and one's where it is illegal.

Joel R.

I'm not sure what such a study would mean. In most states where it is
illegal for teachers to strike, they do it anyway. The school committees
then appeal to the courts who then decide if the strike is doing
irreparable harm to the students. Most courts let the strike continue
for a week or so before they finally throw the union leaders in jail for
a few hours or days to break the strike. The teachers themselves are
imprisoned only as a last resort.

The threat of a strike is just as effective whether or not it is illegal
in a particular state.

Bob at PC
(Just finished a two day strike in the town of East Greenwich here in RI
- even though teacher strikes are illegal in this state)