Re: [Phys-l] Kozol fasts to protest NCLB - defense of unions

Jack!

I don't understand; 1 and 3 seem contradictory, assuming you refer to the affluent community of Hinsdale.

bc also wonders what is meant by 25 contact hours.

Jack Uretsky wrote:

Hi all-
I think that Larry's remarks are on point. I can add (and I've advised a teacher's union involved in negotiations):
1. In Illinois, school boards in wealthy suburbs throw money at teachers.
Salaries are definitely not an issue.
2. After negotiations, if an individual teacher (under Illinois law) does not want to accepte the terms of a new contract, then the terms of the previous contract remain in effect. In other words, a school board has no power to unilaterally reduce teacher salaries.
3. School board members tell me that the primary personnel problem they face is teacher retention. I have a high school teaching certificate, and there isn't enough money to pay me for 25 contact hours of teachin - we seem to be the only country in the world that puts such requirement on its teachers.
There is more, but I'll save it for later.
Regards,
Jack