Re: [Phys-l] A simple (?) question about "to the left"

On 09/12/2007 07:57 AM, Folkerts, Timothy J wrote:
While we're on phrasing, here is one that I hadn't thought much about
before. I described a force during circular motion as "to the left" for
the driver. Talking later to a couple students, I realized they were
interpreting this as a force "to the left *side* of the driver, pushing
him toward the *right*."

It had never occurred to me this might be an issue! It is surprising
sometimes that the terminology we find so clear can be misinterpreted so
easily. The word "toward" instead of "to" would help a bit I think, but
still wouldn't completely solve the problem.

Yeah.

Also try this: A west wind, or a westerly wind. Physicists
name vectors by the direction they are pointing /to/, whereas
mariners, aviators, and meteorologists name winds by the
direction they are coming /from/.

But wait, there's more. When diagramming the winds, meteorologists
draw an arrow representing the velocity vector, just like a physicist
would, pointing downwind
http://adds.aviationweather.gov/winds/
..... but on a plain old weather vane, the arrow points upwind
http://thecountrygentleman.com/images/R510.jpg

Also, in some parts of the chemistry community, they represent
dipole moments by vectors pointing the wrong way:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/electric-dipole.htm

It's no wonder that students are confused.

Extra-credit question:
What do you call a labyrinth of corn?