Re: [Phys-l] Moon's speed

At 06:23 PM 9/1/2007, you wrote:
A friend wished to program his rotary table, so he could photo' the moon
over time w/ its position in the focal plane constant and supplied me w/
the Navy's moon rise table. He wondered about the variation. I do
also. I plotted the cumulative moon rise time and the differences. It
has a 3% variation (+/- from the mean). The variation has two periods
* one about 27 days (not surprising), and another of about ten days w/
about one third the amplitude.

* very obvious w/o FFT'ing the data.

Explanation please.

bc, too lazy to wiki.

Without searching the available resources or even examining the basis
of one of the excellent moon phase visualization programs, I first want
to suppose that it is not necessary that particular motions (like a
pendulum's instantaneous amplitude, for example) follow a sinusoidal path.

The consequence of a Fourier analysis of such a physical cycle is to
show odd harmonics for phase-symmetrical differences.
I also notice that tables of apparent moonrise depend steeply upon
refraction near the horizon, a notoriously variable quantity.

Brian (Mr. Indolence) Whatcott Altus OK