Re: [Phys-l] heat labs?

On Aug 24, 2007, at 2:45 PM, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Suppose a metallic cup contains 250 cc of water. The initial
temperature is 95 C. Students measure temperature every 5 minutes and
calculate the remaining amount of thermal energy in water.

It would be better to say "and calculate changes in thermal energy of water."

That will
give the rates at which thermal energy is lost by water. Then ask them
to repeat the experiment after the cup is surrounded by a layer of
styrofoam tape.

What I had in mind was a flexible layer of foamy material (available in stores) tightly wrapped by a tape or string.

Or use a simple two-cup calorimeter, first without and
then with the outer cup. How is the rate of energy loss affected by a
layer of insulation? Add something more challenging, if this is too
simple. For example, measuring gradient of water temperature; I expect
it to be measurably lower in the second case.
Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physicist
5 Horizon Road, apt. 2702, Fort Lee, NJ, 07024, USA
Also an amateur journalist at http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/