Re: [Phys-l] Motion in 1D, vectors and vector components

On 08/15/2007 12:02 PM, Jeffrey Schnick wrote:

I think the word "projection" is, in general, used for both what you
call a component and what you call a projection.

Actually it seems to me the word "component" is more overloaded
than the word "projection".

For a couple of
examples where it is used to mean the number-with-units see:
<https://carnot.physics.buffalo.edu/archives/2002/09_2002/msg00392.html>

where it says:
" 'component' = as Bob says below, the projection of the vector of
interest onto the axes, what is traditionally labeled A_x and A_y
(signed scalar quantities)."
or see:
<http://www.av8n.com/physics/acceleration.htm>
where it says:
"The scalar acceleration can be considered one component of the vector
acceleration, namely the projection in the 'forward' direction (although
this is undefined if the object is at rest)."

Point taken.

I hereby change my mind about this. It appears that the meaning
of "component" is context dependent as follows:
-- A component of a BLoC is a /matrix element/ which is a number
-- A component of a geometrical vector is /projection/ which is
a vector unto itself.

Note that the term /matrix element/ is well established and
unambiguous in the mathematics literature, and the physics
majors will encounter it again when they get to quantum
mechanics. Also /projection/ has an unambiguous hands-on
meaning in terms of shadows and projective geometry. So
it seems pretty clear to me that all we really need to do
is disambiguate the term "component".

Thomas Moore in his book /Six Ideas That Shaped Physics/ uses the
terminology "vector component" for the value-with-units and "component
vector" for what you call a projection.

That's an interesting suggestion, but too ugly and confusing. I don't
think I could keep that straight. I especially don't think students
could keep that straight.

Perhaps the use of the following terms would help avoid confusion:
vector component value
component vector

Note: I hesitate to use the word "scalar" for the vector component
value. I don't think of a vector component value as something that
transforms as a scalar (remains the same), for instance under rotation.

Agreed!

I think saying "matrix element" rather than "scalar" avoids this
problem.

"What is the derivative of a scalar field, say dT/dx? Is it a scalar,
or a vector, or what? It is neither a scalar nor a vector, as you can
easily appreciate, because if we took a different x-axis, dT/dx would
certainly be different."

The smart thing to do in such a case is to ask about the gradient,
namely dT, rather than the directional derivative dT/dx. It turns
out that dT is a vector ... in particular, a one-form (as opposed
to a pointy vector). This is discussed at
http://www.av8n.com/physics/thermo-forms.htm
This is so simple, practical, and reliable that IMHO it would be
sheer masochism to do thermodynamics any other way.