To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2007 3:05 PM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] California state standards and their tests

You jumped into the middle of a thread, not knowing what

had been discussed before and with incorrect information.

The CST tests are not made public. A select group of questions

are released along with the list of formulas. All I was saying,

in this post, is that it would be nice if the whole test was

released every summer as they are in Ohio, according to

"Michael Edmiston" edmiston@bluffton.edu who wrote.

"Every summer the previous year's test is available on-line

to the public. Of course next year's test will be different,

but once you have a few years of old tests to study you

have a pretty good idea of what topics are covered and what

terminology is used."

The 60 selected questions on the sample test are helpful as

I previously stated on Sat, 11 Aug 2007 08:48:11 -0700 (PDT)

However, the sample questions and the framework are what most

teachers use to determine what they are supposed to teach.

For most, the list of formulas at the end of the sample test

was helpful. After all, they probably would not give the

formulas for topics not on the test.

John Denker <jsd@av8n.com on Thu, 09 Aug 2007 17:15:26 -0400

already brought up several of the released questions websites

for the various math and science sets of standards including

the one you gave:

"What I know of the California standards comes from here:

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/sr/css05rtq.asp

which points to:

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/sr/documents/rtqgeom.pdf

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/sr/documents/rtqalg1.pdf

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/sr/documents/rtqalg2.pdf

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/sr/documents/rtqchem.pdf

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/sr/documents/rtqphysics.pdf";

And this is why I don't usually respond to the posts on this

list-serv. I just quietly read them for information and use

what is helpful for me to help my students learn better.

Barbara Bay